Sunday, August 1, 2010

When it Rains it Pours


So the last couple weeks we have had some intense rain storms around here. One day after work I was talking on the phone trying to get something organized for church, when Brad comes rushing in, changes, and is going about the house all crazily then he spies me in the back room and tells me I need to come down to the basement because it is flooding like crazy. Well after finishing my phone call (I figured Brad was just exaggerating a little) I found my way down to the basement to which I see water pooling right as I get to the bottom of the stairs. As I come around the corner it just keeps getting deeper and then I notice Brad at the windows trying to stop the waterfall coming through to the basement. After about a minute of walking around trying to think through what we should do, Brad decides we need reinforcements, so he runs around telling our neighbors and comes back armed with buckets. The water was coming into our basement so fast that the one drain could not handle the flow and that is why it started pooling. But you can't really blame the drain because water was seriously gushing in through 4 or 5 windows and a crack in the foundation. After a few more minutes of crazy what do we do to stop this the group broke up into people outside trying to stop the water from coming in and people inside taking buckets of water on the floor and dumping them into the washer drain to help the one drain handle the flow. In the mean while the tornado siren went off and the whole complex was down in the basement (first time I had actually heard a real tornado siren and I didn't even know there was one close by). Although flooding is never really a good thing, it was kind of fun to get everyone together and might I say we even had fun in the process.


We tried to just let the buckets hold the water, but those filled up quickly.

Jeff is showing how deep it is, too bad Matt had to ruin the effect by walking in the pic.

Diligent flood crew

The one drain working hard to keep up to the water

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

That's CRAZY! I hope none of your stuff got ruined!

Nathan and Whitney said...

No way!! That is crazy. Did you guys have anything ruined? At least you could have fun with the situation!

Brad and Kjirstin said...

I think we made it out okay, most of our stuff is in plastic containers.

Brad and Kjirstin said...

I think we made it out okay, most of our stuff is in plastic containers.

Unknown said...

Oh so sad!!!! Our roof leaked on our house. =( But not to worry because Elvis the roofer came to fix it. Yes, Elvis, the older one but Elvis all the same!