Friday, October 24, 2008

Living like the Wauwatosaites


So when you move somewhere new you know that there are going to be some new cultural things that you will have to learn to fit in. Our lasted Wauwatosa custom is how to dispose of all the leaves in your yard. So first we learned when we got here that the streets are all lined with city owned trees, so the tree in our front yard is owned by the city and we are supposed to take care of it. So if you saw in my picture before the leaves are turning pretty fall colors around here, but with that they also begin to fall off the tree. So since there are so many trees that also involves lots and lots of leaves around on the ground. Then last week I noticed that there were all these piles of leaves in the gutter all along the street. I though that is nice that the city sweeps all the leaves in the street...then someone was talking about how they though it was weird that their neighbor was sweeping all his leaves from his lawn into the gutter and just left it there. So from asking around I found out that if you rake your leaves into the gutter the city will come and pick up all the piles of leaves in the gutter. So on the day before trash day you drive around and see the street lined with large piles of leaves. Above is a picture of the leaves from our yard. I am also posting pictures to show the table runner I made.


6 comments:

Robyn said...

The table runner turned out so great! Way to be all domesticated like. :)

Whitney and Nathan said...

You made a table runner??? That is so awesome! How did you do it? It looks really nice!

Rachel said...

oooooooh! It's beautiful, I'm so impressed!

Chelsea Beauchamp said...

LOVE the table runners!!

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

Wow, I'm loving your table runner!!! It looks great!! Well done! I still have to glue all the decor on my pinecone wreath, but I should do that today or tomorrow... pictures should be coming soon. I'm still a little self conscious about it though.

Karen Bell said...

I really like the fabric you chose for the runner, also what are you doing these days? Are you working and if so where? Just curious...I'm working as a crossing guard again and taking care of two kids and a husband, it is keeping me plenty busy these days!