Saturday, January 8, 2011

Just Like Mommy

So if we were keeping track of how many things our little girl did that come from mom or dad, I would be winning so far. First of all she is a girl so sorry Brad that just makes her more like me from the beginning. But this week she is starting life the same way I did, breech. I went to my regular appointment on thursday thinking it would be the same as the others: come in, say I am doing fine, have the regular baby checks on size, heartbeat and...position. When my doctor checked the position he felt the hard lump on the top of my tummy, had a concerned look on his face and said he was going to check my dilation and to see if he could feel the head from the bottom. Well I am dialated to a 1, but he did not feel the head as he suspected. I had to go over to Children's Hospital then to get an ultrasound to see how much fluid was around the baby to see if my doctor could turn her around. (now if you have never tried getting from Froedtert East clinics to Children's without going outside it is really confusing, luckily I looked lost enough that I had someone walk me almost the entire way). I first had a technician come in and look at the baby, she measured her weight at approximately 6 lbs 8 oz. She told me the baby was Frank Breech, which means her legs are curled up by her head and her bottom is positioned to come out first. She then left and next to come in was the doctor, who came and looked at the same things. It wasn't until the doctor left and was gone for a while that I realized that things were not as easy as I was thinking they were going to be. The ultrasound Doctor consulted with my OB Doctor and it was decided that it is too risky to turn the baby. Two major reasons, my fluids are too low and and the baby's head is in an upward tilted position. They do not was to risk getting the umbilical cord wrapped around the neck or causing stresses on her that would cause me to need an emergency c-section. The doctor asked me if I had any questions and I felt so overwhelmed and was wishing Brad was there, she let me call Brad to have him come up and she explained the whole thing over again to him. (Luckily Brad was at Froedtert and after telling his residence that his wife was in labor and delivery and needed him there, they let him go pretty quickly). So now what this comes down to is that I most likely will have a little girl on the 19th now. A week earlier than I was counting down to, but also luckily my mom had not bought her plane ticket yet so she still will be able to come in time. And Brad and I have some things to buy today to get ready for reals.

7 comments:

Burton the cool said...

yikes, that's a little scary. are they doing a c-section? good luck the next few weeks. we'll have to plan a time for a visit when things have settled down and you are ready for visitors!! love you.

Julia M. said...

That sounds a little bit scary. I hope everything goes well. I love the picture of you and Brad at the top. You two will be the best parents!

Ben or Sarah said...

I love the picture on top of your blog. So cute. It's so rare Ben and I get pictures that we are both in. ~Sarah

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

WOW, she will be here so SOON!! I will pray that everything goes well for you and your little girl! I'm so excited to see her. It was great to Skype with you guys last week. :)

Karen Bell said...

That's scary, but at least they caught the problem early. Plus you get to have your baby early! Very exciting! you should wait until the 20th because that is my birthday. Good luck!

chelsea said...

How exciting, she's really coming! And SOON! I am so excited for you guys. The ENTIRE TIME in Denver I was thinking about yall. We were going to call to see if you were going to be there... until we remembered that there is no way that far along you'd make it. We can't wait to meet the little one! (Virtually first, of course)

Robyn said...

Yeah I've gone from Froedtert east to children's a couple times and it is way confusing! So many twists and turns! It's good that they found out she's breech before you were in labor. Good luck with everything! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you guys. :)