Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Day Before


It is so weird to think that tomorrow life as I know it changes. It almost feels like I have gone through this moment before, in fact it was May 4th, 2006. I have prepared for this day for a long time, you could even say since I was a child envisioning my future, and now that it is here I feel like all I can do is let everyone else take care of things and try to remember everything that happens. How is it that knowing that you will not get much sleep the next night in fact keeps you from sleeping the night before? This time I believe it will be due to leg cramps and bathroom breaks in addition to the feelings of anticipation. I think it is funny when people ask me “Are you ready?” We have diapers, clothes, the car seat, the crib, we have taken the birthing class and I even watched U-tube videos of breech c-sections (probably shouldn’t have done that one). But is anyone ever really ready for becoming a new parent? I think being ready includes knowing that you aren’t ready and that she is going to change your routine (or what you thought was going to be your routine) and challenge you in new ways every day. I liked the advice I was given recently, just take it one day at a time. It is much easier to think, I might not get very much sleep tomorrow than to think I might not get very much sleep for these next three months.

6 comments:

Whitney and Nathan said...

Good Luck!! I hope everything goes (did go) well. And I like that advice too, it's so true. Every day is different so you just have to enjoy it one day at a time! Can't wait to see her!

Chelsea said...

What an exciting day today! You are in our prayers!

Kaitlin said...

good luck! we're so excited for you.

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

Whoo hoo!! You will be such a GREAT mom! We are anxiously awaiting the news of her arrival! :) And its true, just enjoy each day/moment of your little girl. I'm having a hard time preparing for Owen's FIRST birthday... sniff. Good luck!

Rachel said...

Good luck today! I'm excited to see pictures of your little one!

Joe and Lora Leigh said...

I know you may have already your little girl by now, but I still wanted to wish you good luck. Maybe a congratulations would be in better order. Joe and I are so happy for both of you! Yeh, the sleep is lousy, but this will be the best, funnest, most amazing thing you've ever done (not the labor part). And yeh, one day at a time... that's good advice. Congrats!!!