Sunday, October 17, 2010

Our New Crib

It has always been a dream of Brad's to build his first child's crib. At first when Brad told me that we wanted to build a crib I was wondering when he would ever have the time to actually do it. When he kept bringing it up I decided I would just peruse the internet to see if it was actually feasible. In this search of crib plans I stumbled across a blog showing a crib a husband made for his wife over one weekend, and I fell in love with the crib too (click here to see our inspiration.) So we decided to build this crib while Brad was on his easier month and had the weekend to dedicate to it. Little did we know how much effort really would go into it and finally a month and a half later it is completed and ready for our little girl.

From the pictures on the website and after looking up codes on cribs I drew up some simple plans.

Then project started with a late night at Lowe's buying wood.

This is the man who helped us for hours picking out wood and cutting it to size.

Then came sanding (we recruited Katie to help out with this)

and more sanding...

and more sanding...Brad was being a good example and wearing eye protection.

And then more power tools for assembly.

Can't forget the measuring.

This was a good excuse for Brad to get a new Jig Saw.

Assembly actually took place over a couple weeks and in different locations.

We were excited here to actually get something together.



Finally put together, teddy is testing it out for us.

The now comes the primer and painting.

The blue was fun to spray on but we found out harder to cover then we expected.

Three coats of white paint and a little bit more sanding to antique it.


The complete project! Now my mom can start her project, sewing the bedding.

Now that it is done I love it, but as a caution to anyone else thinking of building a crib, it takes more than one weekend.

12 comments:

Chelsea said...

That is so awesome and AMBITIOUS! My goodness, bravo!

Julia M. said...

That is beautiful! I'm super impressed. Your baby will feel extra loved since you made her the crib. How much did all the wood cost? Less than a store bought one?

Isn't it crazy how much longer everything takes?

Like painting a whole house takes longer than 2 months. Ben tells me to plan on it being done in February. Oh dear! I am still hoping December, but like you, when do we ever have time for it?

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

How amazingly COOL!!! Good job, seriously... I LOVE this!! Your little girl will love her homemade crib. So cute. Kjirstin, you looks GREAT!!! When is that belly going to come in!?! :) Hope your doing well, we miss you terribly.

Jason & Shannon said...

It's so cute! Good job!!

Jessica said...

this is amazing! wow. um can I hire you guys when we have a kid? that would be great.

Joe and Lora Leigh said...

Wow. It is taking Joe and me over 3 months just to BUY one! Y'all are awesome!

Sarah said...

So impressed you guys! Glad Brad was able to fulfill his dream of building the crib. I've been curious to see the finished project and it looks AWESOME!

Micah and Marilee Woolstenhulme said...

You guys are crazy! =) But I LOVE it.

Rachel said...

Wow. You guys rock! I love it!

Karen Bell said...

That crib is awsome!! Caleb almost had a nervous breakdown taking an hour to put together our crib.

Burton the cool said...

The distressed look. A good choice my friend. Looks great. Glad I could help out with some sanding.

InkyKettle said...

Found your blog via Google. It's a beautiful crib, but do the cutouts meet safety standards? I worry they could be a safety hazard.