Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy Equinox Day


So my brother calls me up this morning and tells me to go get an egg from the fridge, random I think. Then he proceeds to tell me it is equinox day so I should be able to balance the egg on its end. Does it matter which end, I enquire. Either will do he says. So I take my egg and try to balance it on its fatter end (this will be easier I think to myself). I try for a couple seconds, I can feel the center of gravity of the egg is just off to let it balance correctly on the tip. I am thinking this might be a joke, but my brother reaffirms my concerns and tells me to try another egg. He couldn't get all of his to work, but had two balancing at that very moment. So I continue through my supply of eggs, I only have half a dozen so I hope one is feeling the spirit of this egg holiday. As I take the second to last egg out and try to balance, score, I balanced an egg on its tip and it happened so easily. So just in case you still don't believe me after this story and the photos to prove this is what Wikipedia has to say about it..."An equinox occurs twice a year, when the tilt of the Earth's axis is inclined neither away from nor towards the Sun, the Sun being vertically above a point on the Equator." So be ready with your eggs on the next one, it will happen on September 22/23.


2 comments:

Nathan and Whitney said...

WOW! Ok, that is really cool! I am totally going to try this in September!!

Chelsea said...

That is SOO cool - I wish I knew about it before! I hope I remember in September - will you remind me?!