Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lake Pewaukee

So this weekend I forced Brad to take a study break and go on a day trip with me, I had to get out even if it was still below freezing temperatures outside. So the plan was to head to one of the multiple lakes that are just 1/2 hour drive from here. The first lake we picked ended up being surrounded by private property so we detoured to Lake Pewaukee because I knew that you could get to it from the downtown area (you know one of thoes quaint little towns where there is just a couple shops and always parking). So we were just going to hike around the lake, but it was frozen over and we could see people ice fishing and cars even driving across it so we decided to take our hike across the lake. This was the first time I had walked on a frozen lake before so it was fun, except for when you heard cracking sounds (Brad tryed to assure me that was normal but it still scared me). So we walk, slid, and played on the lake for a couple hours. At the end we tried to make ourselves some hot cocoa with our backpaking stove, but Brad ended up spilling most of the water after we waited forever for it to heat up. Good thing by then we were almost back to the car because it was freezing once the sun went down.

Here you can see our path from the shore
Brad is sliding across the ice, it was pretty slick
There was this random tree sticking out off the ice
Snow Angles!
Having fun with our shadows
Brad writes his name in the snow
The sun starts to set
Here is our water heating up for Hot Cocoa (we did it on a little island in the lake so that we didn't melt right through the ice)
The sun set from the island

7 comments:

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

Pretty sunset picture! :) What a fun day trip idea. We haven't ventured out much in the winter over here. It looks SOOO cold there! Holy cow! I hope it warms up soon over there, luckily most of that terrible snow has melted here. But I'm keeping a close watch until it is ALL gone. Spring here we come!

Robyn said...

That looks like so much fun! :)

Joe and Lora Leigh said...

Looks like y'all had a fun time!! I have never been on a frozen lake myself. It sounds a little scary, but exciting too. Have y'all ever tried ice-fishing?

I can't believe you have moved somewhere so unbelievably cold. Brr!

P.S. We miss you!

Chelsea said...

how beautiful! Love the pics! It reminded me of our game of bacci on the ice and swamp camping... good on you for getting out despite the freezing cold. I also love your dresser that you did! It totally looks like ours that we probably spent tons more on and is probably not nearly as good of quality from Ikea. How awesome!

Rachel said...

yeah, I'm with you. The whole cracking-sound thing would probably FREAK me out as well. You guys are troopers to be outside in the freezing weather!

I keep telling David when he graduates, the only thing I care about, is moving somewhere WARM! This last winter almost killed me.

Nathan and Whitney said...

That looks so fun! It looks cold, but I think I would love to slide around on some ice right now. That sounds cool!! Glad you guys had fun! (And way to make him take a study break! I am sure he appreciated that too).

Karen Bell said...

I think I would have been too scared to walk out on the ice, glad you pulled Brad away from studying for a little adventure! How is your new job?