Friday, July 31, 2009

That Was Awkward

So Brad and I have each had a kind of awkward experience lately and I thought it would make a good post so that you can see some of the everydayness of our lives. First, I said “That was awkward” to Brad and some friends after returning to the table from the lady’s room. We were eating dinner at Giordano’s, Chicago’s most famous pizza place, after a temple trip. They are acclaimed to have the best deep dish pizza, which is funny because we found out we had eaten there before with Brad’s family when we randomly chose the closes pizza restaurant while walking around in Chicago. Anyways, so the awkward part takes me back to inside the woman’s restroom washing my hands, when a young teenage boy walks in and starts heading towards the stalls. I look at him with probably a puzzled look and I am thinking ‘is that really a boy’ and then respond with “you know this is the woman’s restroom?” The boy responds to me like I am the weird one with “yeah I am waiting for my mom” and continues to enter the stall. I look around all confused, there are only two stalls in the bathroom and I just came out of the other one, then I walk out to see if there is for some reason a long line at the men’s room, nada. That is when I walked back to the table still trying to figure out why I had just experience what I just did…I don’t know what is wrong with some kids these days, he is just lucky that I was so confused by it all or else I would have had some words to say.

Awkward number two, for Brad. Brad has been doing a week of externship, which includes getting paid to follow around an internal medicine doctor. Brad has really enjoyed it because the Doctor lets him go in and do all the initial interviewing of patients all by himself, then he reports to the doctor and takes his guesses on what is wrong. So the other day we both returned from work to a house with no electricity. We decided that this must mean we should go get fast food for dinner, so we opted for our local Taco Bell so that Brad could prove that you really can get lunch for $3 (from an earlier discussion of ours). As we were sitting there eating, we spent more than $3 but it is true you can get three tacos for $3 still, Brad tells me to look over at a lady sitting across the restaurant and says “Wow, that is awkward”. So I look over and take a unsuspicious scan at the woman that he is talking about curious to see what is so awkward. I think to myself as I am looking at her that she looks pretty average compared to some of the other people there at Taco Bell, this one is past 60th St. if that helps you know what kind of people are around. As I am still looking at the lady in my peripheral Brad says to me that he knows more about this lady than probably anyone else in around right now. I flash another puzzled look, and he continues to explain that he just did her interview in the clinic, really she must have also come directly to Taco Bell after also (this was really coincidental since the clinic was 30 min away from where we were at). Brad was trying to decide if he should go up and say hi or if that would make the situation weirder. Since I didn’t think the woman had looked over and recognized him we hurried and slipped out of the restaurant and Brad decided to ask the doctor what he should do in that type of situation in the future.

7 comments:

Janneke said...

LOL - yeah, I bet that would be awkward seeing a patient, especially if it was an awkward visit. I wouldn't be able to handle it. And yes, we're still in the duplex! Probably will be here til we leave Provo (which is another 4 years).

Shad and Krista McOmber said...

These are the stories that would ONLY happen to you guys!! I can totally hear you say it too! Very funny!

Nathan and Whitney said...

Wow! Ok, those are hillarious. I love that the kid in the bathroom said he was waiting for his mom! Such a bad excuse!! And Brad's story is so funny too, she probably felt pretty awkward as well! LOL!

Jana said...

Lol . . . waiting for his mom? And washing his hands first? Maybe someone dared him to go in.

Nathan and Whitney said...

We love San Fran! I don't know if it is very realistic to come up and meet you guys though. What dates are you going to be there?

Whitney and Nathan said...

You guys have fun! San Fran is one of my favorite cities every, but we aren't going to make it. Our anniversary is on Saturday so we already have weekend plans. But maybe next year.

Micah and Marilee Woolstenhulme said...

SO out of curiosity, is Brad getting any good at guessing what is wrong with people? =) Love you guys!